The Student Council Monthly Swap PVP Deck (100 DP-low cost!)

• Hello guys, I've unfortunately come across a 100 dp deck that is really strong in pvp and fairly cheap to make. In fact it's so strong that I am probably never going to play this in 100 DP unless somebody has an interesting counter to this that isn't a mirror match.

In this deck, there is only one slight hard to get card which is moral crackdown and it should only really be used in rare situations where the enemy is trying to field lock you and play medic knight or guitar witch maid.

Decklist:

Character: Child Laevateinn

Followers (9 in total):
    Knight Sgt. Seyfarf x2
    Council Pres Hermes x2
    Sword Girl Luthica x3
    Crux Nurse x2
    Student Council Monthly x2

Spells (21 in total):

Sense of Belonging x2
    Growing Congregation x2
    Relaxation x3
    Nightmare x3
    Vacation x3
    Morals Crackdown x1
    Ominous Sky x3
    Thank You x1

Here is the link to the deck: [http://tinyurl.com/jx4wn5k](link url)

How the deck works:

The deck works by forcing your opponents to overbuff there own followers to get through your high defence minions and kill them before they deck out. There aren't many characters that can counter this either. The reason is the stamina is already so high, that many of the effects pretty much do nothing.

There are of course, minions that do direct stamina damage and ignore defence. Seyfarf is a good answer to some of these. But you can also use cards to swap there stats or play a moral crackdown type removal. Alternatively, sword girl luthica counters the ones that don't buff too much because she gains stamina every turn. The ones that get too strong, you can attempt to steal.

Ideally, you want to play thank you, ominous sky, and a crux nurse or sword girl luthica and try to stall as long as possible until you get into a position where you can either deck your opponent or steal there really powerful followers.

Sample Match ups:

Child Laev:

There are two types of child laev decks, the bad ones that don't try to deck you with medic knight/.... with guitar witch maid and the good ones that do.

These are matchup dependent. If you go first, you want to win by turn 101 by passing as many turns as possible. if you go second, it helps to know the deck, but the general principle is to chip away with luthica until they play something.

The below image is what a typical child laev mirror should end up as:

alt text

Against off faction buff decks:

Very easy. You have lots of answers. Play Luthica and crux nurse/vacation/thank you at start. Wait for them to buff and steal there minions when they can't make a comeback.

Against on Faction buff decks:

More challenging since you won't be able to use a lot of your cards. But you basically need to save sense of belongings to counter there sense of belongings on your own minions. Very similar to the above deck. Just wait for them to buff and play either swap spell/vacation. If the opponent doesn't over buff, try to make an unkillable minion/play sword girls luthica in a way that any debuffs wont kill her.

Some example combos:

1. seyfarf + vacation into congregation expansion the next turn. This steals any minion that is buffed.
    2. nightmare and crux nurse/student council monthly. A minion that insta kills the opponents card or makes them pathetic enough that you can kill them.
    3. Sword Girl Luthica/crux medic + mass defence buffs like thank you and ominous skys. Make your minions so strong that your opponent has to buff there minions to an obscene point to kill them.
    4. Hermes and relaxation/swap spell. This card makes it pretty much impossible for your opponent to overbuff there cards to do enough damage to hermes in 100dp. Hermes will slowly raise the defence of any attackers and remove them from the field. So yes, they might get two or three attacks, but then they just disappear.

There's a lot more smaller combos but these are the main ones that I use.

Potential trade outs:

Besides mirrors, which are a toss up, I don't what else counters it. You should consider adding a third hermes for an ominous sky against slower controlly decks. Against faster passcode decks, you want to play as many ominous skys and thanks yous as you can. Another swap or two can help against the right deck as well.

• Everything is almost pure bulshit. This deck works only well against high def decks like cookers or dress rose. Other than that decks works mainly on swapping buffed followers...
    For some reason author is believing that opponent cant pull 10+at right off the bat which of course isnt true as many can do it easily even with multiple followers.
    This deck has no stall potential so the only way how he pulls off is to wait for buffing def to at least 4 value than steal or grave with Hermes, or to just steal other followers. It's not awfull deck, but very risky and even not in 1/4th good as author thinks.
    Still - you gonna lose with weak decks, gonna win with some strong ones but in dirty, childish way of stealing "monsters" with swaps as def based steal/grave didn't worked even against cookers deck (had that doubtfull pleasure).
    All in all, just NO.

P.S And this is definitely not a beginner deck as you can't grind with it as well as win with people on your level. You will win some with very good players but in return you not gonna have possibility to fight with them again in future as noone of those will fight you if you use 6 swaps...

• No, it doesn't work like that.

Let's take a common scenario against a swarm deck.
    You play a 0/2/11 and a 4/1/10 like you mentioned. Your opponent plays four followers and buffs them to 8/0/8's on average. Your followers each get attacked 3 times on average, 2 from enemies and 1 from a counterattack, and that kills both of them. Now what do you do?

You can continue to stall, or steal/remove.
    If you stall, you're either playing followers that die in one turn like I just described, or not doing anything since your deck has no healing or deactivation cards. Either way you're going to take damage, and waiting for your opponent to "overbuff" is likely going to cost you a third to half your health pool.
    If you start to steal/remove the enemy followers, you're likely trading 1 for 1. You can't play more than 2 steal/removal a turn most of the time, and your opponent has 4 followers out. So, you will steal a 8/0/8 or a 12/0/12 follower on average depending on how much your opponent buffed in 2 turns, and that follower will trade with your opponent's follower with the same stats. This just resets the board state, which lets your opponent build another board again with buffs. That's what swarm decks are good at doing.

Depending on rng, this might vary a bit, since you are giving your opponent a useless follower a good amount of the time, but on average your followers will simply trade. Now you're back at the start again, except you probably lost a third to half your life in the process, while your opponent lost around 5hp. Your opponent rebuilds their board, the cycle repeats, and you die at the end.

Defense buffing is almost negligible, most swarm followers have 0-2 defense, which means you spend 3-5 turns of doing almost nothing to steal a follower that will likely die on the following turn, most likely taking 8-10 damage in the process. Eventually you will run out of removal and keep drawing followers that are dead to your opponent's board and lose.

The only way I can see your deck feasibly winning is if your opponent has no idea what they're doing and buffs their board to some ridiculous state like four 20/2/20's and you steal 2 of those, then get some good rng to kill their other 2 off. However, as soon as your opponent sees a single piece of removal, they're going to be incredibly wary and won't overbuff their board. The entire premise of your deck becomes invalid at that point. You might win once against an unaware opponent, but I have a very hard time seeing the deck winning twice against the same opponent.

Generally I feel like you only thoroughly tested the deck against stall decks, which you stand a good chance against just by having child laev as your character (child ginger is almost an auto-win), and only played a few games against buff decks without testing out a large sample size. Otherwise your opponents might have not known how to play around your deck and kept falling into the same trap over and over again. I just can't see it winning consistently against a good opponent using a standard swarm deck.

As a side note, if you really want a HARD counter to this deck, it's easy. Play against an EX2 50pt character with all on-faction followers in their deck. Preferably an academy debuff deck. Fun times will ensue.

• @Seadrias said in The Student Council Monthly Swap PVP Deck (100 DP-low cost!):

No, it doesn't work like that.

Let's take a common scenario against a swarm deck.
    You play a 0/2/11 and a 4/1/10 like you mentioned. Your opponent plays four followers and buffs them to 8/0/8's on average. Your followers each get attacked 3 times on average, 2 from enemies and 1 from a counterattack, and that kills both of them. Now what do you do?

You can continue to stall, or steal/remove.
    If you stall, you're either playing followers that die in one turn like I just described, or not doing anything since your deck has no healing or deactivation cards. Either way you're going to take damage, and waiting for your opponent to "overbuff" is likely going to cost you a third to half your health pool.
    If you start to steal/remove the enemy followers, you're likely trading 1 for 1. You can't play more than 2 steal/removal a turn most of the time, and your opponent has 4 followers out. So, you will steal a 8/0/8 or a 12/0/12 follower on average depending on how much your opponent buffed in 2 turns, and that follower will trade with your opponent's follower with the same stats. This just resets the board state, which lets your opponent build another board again with buffs. That's what swarm decks are good at doing.

Depending on rng, this might vary a bit, since you are giving your opponent a useless follower a good amount of the time, but on average your followers will simply trade. Now you're back at the start again, except you probably lost a third to half your life in the process, while your opponent lost around 5hp. Your opponent rebuilds their board, the cycle repeats, and you die at the end.

Defense buffing is almost negligible, most swarm followers have 0-2 defense, which means you spend 3-5 turns of doing almost nothing to steal a follower that will likely die on the following turn, most likely taking 8-10 damage in the process. Eventually you will run out of removal and keep drawing followers that are dead to your opponent's board and lose.

The only way I can see your deck feasibly winning is if your opponent has no idea what they're doing and buffs their board to some ridiculous state like four 20/2/20's and you steal 2 of those, then get some good rng to kill their other 2 off. However, as soon as your opponent sees a single piece of removal, they're going to be incredibly wary and won't overbuff their board. The entire premise of your deck becomes invalid at that point. You might win once against an unaware opponent, but I have a very hard time seeing the deck winning twice against the same opponent.

Generally I feel like you only thoroughly tested the deck against stall decks, which you stand a good chance against just by having child laev as your character (child ginger is almost an auto-win), and only played a few games against buff decks without testing out a large sample size. Otherwise your opponents might have not known how to play around your deck and kept falling into the same trap over and over again. I just can't see it winning consistently against a good opponent using a standard swarm deck.

As a side note, any deck that requires you to wait until TURN 101 in order to win is NOT beginner friendly.

Good explanation but you are just a little bit too harsh with this deck effectivity. But only a little bit. Yeah against passcode it's insta resign, same as against burns, crescents, and maybe witches, + anything which uses ep def based followers. But actually best 100 dp decks have decent amount of def - usually 2/3 for most of followers - just to mention seekers, cookers, ladies. Moreover those decks are crazy buffing ones so it's not easy to slow down with buffing or you have most of buffs with def (like cookers). Against those this deck is pretty effective but mostly because swaps not because graving "overdefed" followers (if cookers can survive graving, than it may work only against dress rose). Still there are some effective gimmicks like nightmare or morale crackdown so this deck has some options. Sadly most effective one is swap...

• Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the 100dp format, most of my experience comes from 250-300dp decks. My general impression was that passcode swarm was the most popular deck and comprised of the majority of the metagame.

If snowball/multi-follower buff decks are popular, then yes, this deck will have a field day with them. If the majority of the metagame at 100dp are these kinds of buff decks, I can see why the op would think this deck is one of the best, since it does counter them easily. The deck isn't the strongest by far, but it does fit into the metagame.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.